Sunday, March 11, 2012

FAQ Month: How To Get Published Step Four

Last day of being busy! Now I have a week of relaxation... Well school... Before spring break!

Although I'm a bit sad that the play's over, we had a pretty cool after party (which consisted of lots of photos and a failed attempt at flash mobbing FroYo with songs we learned in vocal from Grease).

(picture of me after the show).

So anyway, glad I'm not busy anymore, now I'll try posting every day. Today's a quick post because I have to go to a tea party (really long story), but here it is:

The last step to getting published... Publishing!

This is the question most asked on Yahoo Answers. I'm fifteen, just wrote a book, how do I send it to publishers?

Well, you can't send your book directly to a publisher (as I just found out only a year ago),
You have to go through a process which involves a literary agent.

For most teens it's the best idea to write a query letter, no travel needed.

A query letter is a letter asking a literary agent if s/he would like to read your book. If they do they'll ask for a full copy. If they accept your manuscript, they'll sell it to a publisher and viola! You're a published author. Agents get paid based on what you make from your book (so lets be completely hypothetical here) and say your book only made one dollar :( literary agents get a percent of your dollar, so if they have a 1% rate (which most don't), they only make one cent for all their effort, you get ninety-nine.

This mean literary agents will only accept the books they think that will make a ton of money. To convince them that your book will make a ton of money.

So the last step is to find a literary agent.


Whoa, I can't believe that I've covered all the steps.

So over the next four months I'll cover each step in a LOT more detail. One step per month.

Thanks for reading!

-C

No comments:

Post a Comment